Laptop Circulation and Liability Policy
revised January 2013
As a service to the Marietta College community, the Library makes laptop computers configured for connection to the College's wireless network available to current MC students, faculty and staff.
This policy provides eligible patrons with guidelines for borrowing laptops from the Marietta College Library for in-library use only. Users are expected to be self-directed in their use of the laptops and must abide by Marietta College's Network Use Policy.
Laptops can be checked out by current Marietta College students, faculty, and staff with a valid Marietta College identification card, who maintain a library account in good standing, and who read, agree to, and sign the Library Laptop Loan Agreement. The patron's MC ID card must be presented to the circulation worker each time a laptop is borrowed. The Library Laptop Loan Agreement must be read and signed each time a laptop is borrowed. Under no circumstance will a patron be allowed to check out a laptop for another person.
Loan Periods and Availability
Laptops may be checked out at the Library Circulation Desk anytime during library operating hours. Laptops are to be used in the library only. One laptop per patron will be made available on a first-come, first-served basis. The Library will not reserve a laptop for a patron. The loan period for a laptop is four (4) hours or until 15 minutes before closing time, whichever comes first. No renewals are permitted.
Fines and Liability
The overdue fine for a laptop returned after it is due is $25.00 per hour or part of an hour; there is no maximum amount on overdue fines. The patron that checks out the laptop is held financially responsible for damage to, loss of, or theft of the laptop. The replacement cost of a damaged, lost or stolen laptop is $1200.00 plus the accrued overdue fines. The person who checks out the laptop must read, agree to, and sign the Library Laptop Loan Agreement and is responsible for its safe return in good condition. LAPTOPS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENEDED. Marietta College Library assumes no responsibility if the laptop is stolen while checked out to a patron.
Limitations on Use
A library staff member or circulation student assistant will turn the laptop on (when it is checked out) and off (when it is returned) to ensure it is working properly. Patrons must not tamper with the hardware or software already installed on the laptop. The Library reserves the right to charge a maintenance fee of $25.00 per hour for cleaning and/or repairing laptops that have been tampered with. The laptops are to be used for research purposed and preparation of class assignments and projects only.
Laptop Loan Agreement
By my signature below, I acknowledge that I have read and agreed to all of the following statements when checking out a laptop computer from Marietta College Library:
I agree to accept full responsibility for the laptop while
it is checked out to me.
- I WILL NOT LEAVE THE LAPTOP UNATTENDED (For example: using the restroom, talking with friends.)
- I will not tamper with the laptop hardware or software, attempt to load software, or attach hardware to the laptop.
- I agree that the laptop is for in library use only for up to 4 hours or until 1 hour before closing, whichever comes first
- I will pay an overdue fine of $25.00/hour or part of an hour if I fail to return this laptop to the Library's Circulation Desk by the time it is due today.
- I accept full financial liability for the laptop while if is in my possession.
- I agree to pay all costs associated with damage to, loss of, or theft of the laptop per the laptop policy ($1200.00 plus accrued overdue fines for the laptop) while it is checked out to me.
- I agree that the College and the Library may use any appropriate means to collect the amount owed for fines, damaged, loss, or theft.
- I acknowledge that unpaid fines will be applied to my student billing account and will prevent the issuing of official transcripts and diploma.
- Laptops and are for research purposes and/or preparing class assignments, and I will abide by Marietta College's Network Use Policy.
- I agree that failure to comply with any of these rules and guidelines will result in the loss of the privilege of borrowing a laptop.