Special Collections Inquiries

Marietta College Home Special Collections

 


Artifacts

Brooks Ellis Collection

Dr. Brooks F. Ellis, a member of the Marietta College Class of 1923, was an internationally known geologist and micro-paleontologist. His career included the positions of Curator and Chairman of Micropaleontology at the American Museum of Natural History, and Chairman of the Department of Geology at New York University’s Washington Square College of Arts and Science. This collection consists of artifacts from early Egypt, Greece, Syria, and Great Britain.

Wendell Phillips Collection

Dr. Wendell Phillips founded the American Foundation for the Study of Man in Washington, D.C., in 1949, a non-profit organization with the purpose of scientific research, study and investigation of man and his habitats with emphasis on archaeological investigation. In 1951-52, Phillips led the Yemen expedition in Marib at the Mahram Bilqis, Moon Temple, legendary home of the Queen of Sheba. In 1952, he placed at Marietta College three of the alabaster specimens excavated from a cemetery in the ancient city of Timna.

Society of Inquiry Collection

The Society of Inquiry was organized in 1833 at the Marietta Collegiate Institute. The object of this Society was to study the work of foreign and domestic religious missions, and “to discuss such moral and religious questions as tend to invigorate the mind and store it with valuable and useful knowledge.” Members corresponded with missionaries in different parts of the world, who reported back on their activities and often sent artifacts from the areas of their work. During the 1930s, the Marietta College Museum still housed “the very interesting Missionary Collection of the Society of Inquiry,” and continues to hold about 60 items from the original collection.