Thee instructions assume you have already created a user account on the OhioLINK ETD site and that you have a complete thesis approved by your committee that has been saved as a PDF file. You should know the name of this file and the directory where it is located.. The following process takes you through the step of submitting your completed thesis to OhioLink.
Go to the ETD (Electronic Thesis and Dissertation) Center in the left side menu, or go directly to the ETD site: https://etd.ohiolink.edu/.
1. From any OhioLink ETD page, select "Submit your Thesis or Dissertation" in the upper right hand corner.
2. Then click on "Go to the Submission Site."
3. Log into the ETD submission program.
4. Click on the link to "Create New ETD."
Figure 7. OhioLink ETD Program Create a new ETD.
5. On the next screen, read the Publication Agreement. This is very standard language, but you should be aware of what you are doing. At the bottom of the page, there are three fields you need to complete:
Figure 8. OhioLink ETD Program Select Institution.
6. On the next screen, you will be providing your name and contact information. Please enter all of this information in mixed upper and lower case letters as you would normally type your name. Do not use all-caps. Make sure that your last name (surname) and first (given) names are in the correct fields.
7. Next you are providing information about your thesis. All of these fields, including the title, should be entered in mixed upper and lower case letters. You should use standard title capitalization. This is probably different from your thesis title page, which is probably in all caps.
8. In the box for the abstract you should definitely copy and paste from your document, since it will be long and easy to make typos. But some problems can occur. Single and double quote marks in particular do not copy well and will have to be corrected by hand. The same is true of other special characters like math symbols, greek letters, and foreign language accents. Please proofread this field before you move ahead. If you want to format your abstract with paragraphs or other formatting, you will need to read the note about how to do so and follow those instructions. You should use the link to Preview a formatted view of the abstract to see if any problems show up.
9. In the Keywords field, please enter several words from your abstract that describe the topics you address in your thesis. Put a semicolon (;) between keywords.
10. In the Subject Headings field, select at least one subject to represent your thesis. It may be as general as your area of study, like "Education" or "Psychology." You can select additional subjects if you follow the onscreen instructions. Select a subject term by clicking on it to highlight it, then clicking the arrow to move it into the box on the right.
11. When you have answered the remaining questions on this screen, click "Save and Continue."
Figure 9. Entering Paper Information
12. On the next screen you are providing information about your degree and advisor or committee. Select your degree and program from the drop-down fields. Also enter the names of your advisor and any other committee members and indicate their role in the drop-down field. Please verify the spelling of all names. It is typical to enter the highest degree for each committee member, usually "Ph.D." Then click "Save and Continue."
13. On the Publication Information screen, you may make any choice regarding the copyright options. The default choice of "Copyright, all rights reserved" is perfectly acceptable.
Figure 7. OhioLink ETD Program Copyright.
14. For Publication Delay, the norm is for no delay. A delay should be requested only if the article has been submitted for publication and the publisher requires the delay.
15. For UMI Publication, this option is typical for doctoral dissertations, but is not expected for masters or undergraduate theses. It is strongly recommended that you select "Do not upload my paper to UMI." And since your thesis will be available to the world via OhioLink, there is no advantage to UMI publication.
Figure 8. OhioLink ETD Program UMI Agreement.
16. After you have made these choices, click "Save and Continue."
17. On the Document Upload screen, you transmit the PDF file of your thesis to OhioLink.
18. Select Document Type of "Thesis/Dissertation" and Browse to find the PDF file that you created earlier. Click the Upload File button to transmit the file. It is also possible to upload Supplemental Documents, but that is not typical with Marietta College theses. Click Save and Continue when you are finished uploading files.
19. The next and final screen asks you to verify all of the information that you have entered. You should click on the link to verify that your PDF file uploaded correctly. Also look again at all of the descriptive information that you entered and make sure that it is all correct. If there are any problems, click the Previous button at the top of the screen and fix the problem. If all looks good, click the button "Submit My ETD."
Figure 9. OhioLink ETD Program Submission Review.
20. Congratulations, you have completed your part of the submission process. Next your submission will be reviewed by the institutional ETD manager and your thesis advisor (or the Chair of the Honors Program) . Once final approvals are complete, you will receive an automatic notification that your thesis is available on the OhioLink ETD web site.