The reference desk is the most important and most visible service point in the library. Professional behavior and awareness of what is going on around you are among the key aspects of your job. To ensure that you maintaining a professional presence at the reference desk, please refrain from the following while you are on duty:
- Eating meals. You can consume snack foods and beverages in covered containers at the reference desk, but if you need to grab a quick meal at the cafe or Gilman, you need to eat it in the cafe area.
- Using headphones or checking social media or texting on a mobile device. The primary responsibilities of your job require you to be responsive to patrons' needs and to what is going on in the building. Whether library staff are in the building or not, you be aware of what is going on around you. Lack of awareness causes problems such as lines building up at printer stations and not recognizing student computer issues.
- Socializing with friends for extended periods or holding meetings or study sessions at the reference desk. This discourages library patrons from getting help.
- Making or accepting personal cell phone calls unless they are important or urgent matters. If you need to make or answer a call, you are certainly welcome to do so elsewhere to safeguard your privacy and not distract others.
- Inviting anyone behind the reference desk. If you have an unauthorized person behind the desk, you are responsible for what happens while they are there (e.g. they take a set of keys from one of the drawers). Students using the reference desk area as a passthrough is permitted.
- Hanging out behind the circulation desk. You may interact with circ students at the front of the circ desk, but not behind it. You don't work there and you don't belong there.
If you are not meeting any of the above expectations consistently and satisfactorily, I will discuss the situation with you and work with you to correct the matter. If your work performance does not satisfactorily improve within a reasonable period, you may be terminated from your position.